Job Title: Triage Nurse (OBGYN)
Position Reports To: Practice Manager
Location: Savannah OBGYN, 5353 Reynolds Street, Suite 300, Savannah, GA 31405
Responsible for providing professional nursing care to clinic patients under the direction/delegation of Physician under the general policies and procedures established by Savannah OBGYN. Will participate in providing health promotion, health maintenance, and management of illnesses for patients. Provides care as allowed within the scope of the Georgia Licensed Practical Nurses Board.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Creates a caring and healing environment that keeps the patient and family at the center of care throughout their experience at Savannah OBGYN.
- Assess patients’ general condition, particularly the acutely ill patient and ensures that needs are met.
- Maintains confidentiality in matters regarding the clinic, its patients, and employees.
- Accurately documents all patient observations, treatments, and procedures administered, patient/family responses, medication dispensed or prescribed, hospital data in the medical record.
- Assist in lab tracking, pap smear follow up auditing, missing tickets, (Non-US or DEXA).
- Promotes wellness by providing patient education materials, communicating physicians’ advice and instructions on how to self-manage care.
- Coordinates patient care by triaging patient phone calls regarding urgency of appointments, and scheduling hospital admissions. Process all patient referrals and required follow-through. Maintains and keeps updated referral report.
- Assists with patient inquires/concerns regarding medical care, medication instructions, and prescription call-ins in a prompt, courteous efficient manner.
- Communicates with pharmacy.
- Timely and accurately maintains required reports, logs, and records.
- Coordinates care with hospital, home health services, hospice, or other institutional settings per provider’s order.
- Obtains discard summaries from the hospital and other facilities as needed for coordination of care.
- Accurately completes office/hospital charge tickets or assists assigned coder.
- Adheres to infection control/safety guidelines.
- Upon completion of medication proficiency test, may administer medications according to Medication Administration policy.
- Administers immunizations and injections after reviewing immunization record, potential allergic reactions identifies and reviews side effects and treatments. Perform venipunctures, capillary punctures, specimen collection/preparation/testing and other lab functions as requested.
- Communicates with and assists physicians, patients, and coworkers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Performs clinical and non-clinical duties assigned by Supervisor. Assists in other physician areas as assigned by Supervisor.
- Reports to work on a regular and consistent basis.
- The job holder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to job position.
Graduate of an accredited school of practical/vocational nursing program.
Minimum of two years clinical experience, preferably in a hospital or office practice setting.
Current Georgia LPN or RN licensure. Current BLS/CPR Certification.
- Knowledge and demonstrated proficiency in performing clinical skills.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures related to infection control, environmental safety, and patient confidentiality.
- Knowledge of medical charge reporting/records.
- Skill in appropriate assessment and assistance techniques.
- Skill in appropriate use of universal precautions, safe workplace, and confidentiality methods.
- Skill in health information management by appropriately charting patient data.
- Skill in utilization of tact.
- Skill in use of computer.
- Ability to preform independently within department’s policies and procedures.
- Ability to exercise professionalism in dealing with all levels of personnel, patients, and patients’ families.
- Ability to communication clearly.
- Ability to work effectively as team member with physicians and other staff.
- Ability to respond to changing demands in a flexible manner.
This position shall have full access to information in a patient’s medical record, in order to provide quality patient care. Patient information is to be held strictly confidential. Patient information will not be used or disclosed for any purpose other than the performance of job responsibilities and duties.